This quick and easy black-eyed pea soup has just enough spice to warm you up during those chilly months! Being vegan, this dish is healthy and it has the spicy, smoky taste that will keep you coming back for more. Serve it with toast and you’ll have a hearty and cozy meal!
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Jalapeño, diced
- 4 cups Green cabbage, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (size 15 oz) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 box (15 oz size) fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Liquid smoke (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once heated, add the onion, carrots, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno and sauté for 6 minutes or until the carrots begin to soften.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. The soup should be prepared when all the greens are wilted and the vegetables are tender.
Serve hot and enjoy!
• For the green cabbage, you can substitute kale, mustard greens or Swiss chard. If you can’t find any in your area, you can use frozen spinach.
• You can remove the seeds from the jalapeño if you are sensitive to spices.