Ceramic flooring is becoming the popular choice among homeowners today. This is because although it is cheap, the ceramic tile floor gives an upscale look, and it is easy to maintain.
Advantages of ceramic floor
- Ceramic floor is affordable and most suitable for modern kitchen environments.
- Ceramic floor looks aesthetically appealing and can mix with any interior design and style.
- Ceramic floor tiles are easy to clean and maintain.
- Ceramic floor tiles are strong and long lastingas they are baked under high temperatures.
- They can withstands very high temperatures and are not affected by the action of corrosive and acidic substances.
- The ceramic floor is well suited to rugged kitchen environments and cannot be scratched easily (even by pets).
- Ceramic floor tiles are versatile and come in various shapes, colors, patterns and textures to create a desired interior design style or to complement an existing one.
- Ceramic flooring can come in various finishes that can be made to look like expensive marble flooring or travertine flooring, giving your home a high-class feel at a much lower price.
- Ceramic floor tiles can be polished to a non-porous surface that leaves no room for bacteria and allergens to collect. This makes the surface hygienic, especially for children.
Disadvantages of ceramic flooring
- If not installed properly, ceramic tiles can develop cracks in a few years as the tiles are brittle.
- Unless you install a modern heating system, ceramic tiles can get quite cold and uncomfortable during the winter.
- Ceramic tiles are hard, so they feel very stiff underfoot, especially if you are working in the kitchen for long hours. In order to reduce the impact, you can put some mats in the action areas.
Cost of ceramic floor
In addition to the cost of installation, you can buy ceramic floor tiles for about $3 per square foot and up. The price varies according to a number of factors such as the size of the tiles, color and design. Prices also vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The ceramic floor can come in customized designs, but these are comparatively very expensive.
Tips for buying ceramic tiles
1. Always keep some extra tiles handy, as you will need them if your ceramic floor tiles crack or break as a result of everyday wear and tear. If you don’t have any extra tiles, you will find it difficult to get tiles with the same color and pattern.
2. Always check the PEI rating of ceramic tiles. The PEI rating indicates the hardness of the tile, its ability to stand up to wear and the percentage of water absorbed. PEI III and PEI IV are suitable for kitchen floors. Although there are other factors, if you have a good PEI rating, you can be sure that your ceramic floor will last longer.
3. Always buy ceramic floor tiles that match your existing color scheme and design. If not, your beautiful new tiles will look out of place.
4. If your kitchen countertop and backsplash are made of ceramic tiles you must choose ceramic floor tiles of the same color and pattern. This brings a uniform appearance.
5. You can also create a completely different scheme using various colors and sizes to make your kitchen look bigger and warmer. You can do this by using lighter and larger colored tiles to give your kitchen a wider look.
6. You can choose from various designs from simple to rustic to classic, and patterns from terracotta to checkerboard to mosaic.
7. The glazed ceramic floor is easy to clean. However it can be slippery, especially when walking on wet ground with certain footwear.
8. If you want to reduce the seams and grout lines, you should go for larger size tiles. This will also make the ceramic floor easier to clean.
Installation of ceramic floor
If you have installed floor tiles before, installing a ceramic floor can be a DIY job for you. However, most people will need an experienced mason or professional installer. You need to know that a professional knows how to do the underlayment and also how to lay the tiles so that they are leveled and aligned properly. Improper underlayment will result in the tiles peeling off later. A professional will also do the grouting and sealing work in such a way that it is least visible.
In order to get an idea of how your new ceramic floor tiles will look once installed, you can lay them on the floor beforehand. Notice how they fit the walls and cabinets. A professional installer will see that the most visible parts of your floor receive full tiles without cutting.
Maintenance of ceramic floor
Always stick to the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Unglazed ceramic tile or Quarry is usually porous, as it is made of a mixture of unglazed clay. These types of tiles can stain if kept unsealed. Once sealed, the sealing will need to be repeated on a regular basis depending on how much the tile is being used. It’s also a good idea to seal grout lines, as they corrode over time and collect dirt and germs. In addition they make the whole floor of your kitchen look shabby.
Although the ceramic floor is hardened in the oven and can withstand corrosive cleaning liquids, it is better not to take a chance. Abrasives can dissolve the grout, spoiling the beautiful look of your ceramic tile floor. So you can first sweep or vacuum your ceramic floor and then mop with warm water. That is all that is needed to keep it clean.
Dragging heavy furniture across your ceramic floor will not only crack it, but can also leave unsightly dark marks on the glazed surface. So, instruct your movers about this in advance.
How to get the best price on ceramic flooring
Amazon seems to be one of the best places to buy ceramic flooring from (sponsored link). Besides the best prices, their customer-friendly policies make shopping from them a pleasure.