If there is anything more luxurious to use in your kitchen than cherry kitchen cabinets, you probably can’t afford it anyway. It is one of the richest of all the wood options and is durable despite its semi-soft nature. With proper care and maintenance, your cherry kitchen cabinets will last a long time and will continue to look great despite the abuse they will endure throughout their lives.
The kitchen is one of the busiest rooms in the house, and the cabinets will see different types of conditions including steam, heat, grease and water as well as almost constant use. The cabinet you choose and install will see cooking, opening and closing and various near disasters and will have to endure these without being destroyed.
Features of cherry kitchen cabinets
Cherries tend to have a more subtle grain with a very smooth, almost silky texture to it.
New cherry kitchen cabinets tend to be a lighter color, almost a light golden color, in fact. This color will darken to the rich, reddish brown that is most often associated with cherries over time, mainly as a result of exposure to sunlight. (Think of it as tan for your cabinets.)
In some cherry groves, there may be streaks of other colors that can vary from very pale yellow to green and sometimes even pink.
There may also be small blemishes such as small knots and pinholes, however if you choose a higher grade of wood, you can eliminate the majority of these. It will raise the price of your cherry kitchen cabinets considerably.
Cherry, even in the lower grades, can be an expensive option but it is a a worthwhile investment to your house.
Tips for buying cherry kitchen cabinets
1. You can paint the cherry, however, if you are not going to let it stay in its natural color, you can ask yourself if you can justify the additional cost. Also, painting cherry kitchen cabinets hides the natural beauty of the wood.
2. Cherry kitchen cabinets darken over time and with exposure to sunlight, so you should plan for this change while considering your color scheme. Be sure to consult with a professional designer when planning your project.
3. Cherry is a dramatic choice and can look good with many color combinations and other materials, however, black granite countertops combined with cherry cabinets is a timeless classic that will never go out of style.
4. Beautiful, well-made cherry kitchen cabinets are strong and it will increase the property value of your home as well. While they are cheaper, lower quality cabinets that have cherry veneer on top of particle board, fiberboard or other wood-like products are not as durable and need to be replaced. quite quickly.
5. Choosing custom-built cherry cabinets can add to the overall cost, but may be necessary if your kitchen is not standard in size or shape.
6. The price of your cherry kitchen cabinets may increase with additional features that you may wish to have included such as Lazy Susans, bins, baskets or others.
7. The hardware you choose for your cherry kitchen cabinets not only adds to their beauty and functionality, but also influences the overall cost as well.
8. To save some money on your choice, choose ready-to-assemble cherry cabinets (also known as RTA) instead of pre-assembled. This not only reduces the cost, but reduces the chance of damage during shipping. In addition, if you are a do-it-yourself type of person, then you may enjoy the installation work. If you are not handy, however, you can have your cabinets installed by professionals and still be ahead. It should be noted that, in addition to the lower cabinet price of RTA cabinets, their shipping cost will also be lower.
9. Some of the big manufacturers of wooden kitchen cabinets are Kraftmaid, Merillat, Thomasville and Aristokraft.
Take care of your cherry kitchen cabinets
Take care of your cherry kitchen cabinets correctly and they will last practically forever.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions properly.
Wash your cherry kitchen cabinets with a soft cloth, mild soap and warm water but make sure not to soak them and dry them thoroughly.
Between washes, use a light furniture polish to keep your cherry cabinets shining like brand new.
Do not use any abrasive cleaning agents, especially those containing acetone as it will discolor and damage your cherry kitchen cabinets.