The Santos mahogany is the most preferred species of mahogany among the various other species such as the Honduran (genuine) mahogany and the Red mahogany. When it comes to high action and humid areas like kitchens, Red mahogany and Santos mahogany can stand the test. However, red mahogany is rarely available, which is why Santos mahogany flooring becomes the first choice for kitchens. This is because of his high degree of hardness and durability.
On the Janka hardness scale (an industry measure that indicates the hardness of the wood), Santos mahogany has a rating of 2200, which leaves genuine mahogany far behind. It is even harder than maple and oak.
Santos mahogany (also called Balsamo or Cabreuva) has a beautiful reddish-brown color and looks attractive to the eye. Due to its compact grains, Santos mahogany flooring is naturally resistant to scratches, decay, rot, insects and fungi. So having pets should not be of any concern.
Due to its rich texture and royal appearance, Santos mahogany flooring can give your kitchen a sophisticated look, it adds value and increases the resale value of your home.
Cost of Santos mahogany floor
In addition to the cost of installation, you can buy Santos mahogany flooring for $4 per square foot and up. The price depends on certain factors such as the quality, size and thickness of the plates. Unfinished material is cheaper than pre-finished material. However, you will incur extra costs for sanding and finishing if you buy an unfinished Santos mahogany floor. As you decide on your budget, keep in mind that good quality Santos mahogany flooring will last longer, giving you value for your money.
Tips for buying Santos mahogany floor
1. Santos mahogany flooring is available in different quality grades. The higher the quality grade, the more uniform the pattern and color. On the other hand, a lower quality grade material will have greater color variations and may have knots. First grade material is always the best in terms of quality and appearance. Some prefer lower grade Santos mahogany as it looks more natural.
2. If your kitchen is larger you must choose larger plates to give a smooth look to your Santos mahogany floor. This will also make cleaning easy. If your kitchen is smaller, smaller plates will do.
3. It is important to choose boards of the right thickness. Thicker planks will give your Santos mahogany floor solidity and strength.
4. While choosing the color variation, keep in mind the theme and furniture of your kitchen. The natural color of the Santos mahogany floor blends well with kitchen furniture and countertops that are dark in color.
5. Santos mahogany flooring comes in two types: unfinished and pre-finished. Santos unfinished mahogany flooring is more rugged and can be sanded and polished at home to suit your tastes. Santos pre-finished mahogany is more preferable as it is treated and veneered at the factory to preserve its quality and strength. Although Santos pre-finished mahogany flooring is comparatively more expensive, it is most suitable for kitchens with a high level of activity, as it has a higher resistance to moisture, spills, scratches and the damaging effects of direct sunlight. In addition, it carries a better warranty.
6. These days Santos engineered mahogany flooring is in vogue. This is because it is specially manufactured in the factory and the Santos mahogany plank is reinforced using a lower layer or core of fiberboard or plywood to give it stability and durability. The lower layers of plywood and the upper layer of mahogany are placed perpendicular to each other and subjected to extreme pressure in the factory. The final product is stronger and nicer to look at. If your kitchen is at ground level or below, engineered Santos mahogany floor would be the best for it.
7. If you have an underfloor heating system, Santos engineered mahogany flooring works well with it.
Installation of Santos mahogany floor
Santos mahogany floors can be installed by floating, gluing down, stapling and nailing. This takes a lot of hard work, expertise and patience, so it’s not a DIY project. It is therefore recommended that you only get it installed by experienced and licensed contractors. This is because correct sub-floor and floor installation plays an important role in how your Santos mahogany floor will perform in the long run.
Santos mahogany, similar to other hardwoods, expands and contracts with changes in seasons and temperatures. Therefore the plates must be properly installed to prevent them from bending or developing a gap between them. Santos mahogany flooring properly installed requires minimal maintenance.
Santos mahogany floor maintenance
Always follow the guidelines provided by the manufacturer for the care and maintenance of your Santos mahogany floor.
For best cleaning results, you can vacuum or mop your Santos mahogany floor with a damp mop.
In areas of high foot traffic and areas where there is a possibility of spillage, you can place area rugs to reduce infiltration, impact and the resulting wear and tear that may be evident. in the long run.
Do not let spilled liquid sit on the Santos mahogany floor, but immediately wipe it off. This will prevent the liquid from entering the gap between the plates and causing the plates to swell.
Although Santos mahogany floors last a long time, they may show signs of wear over time. As with any hardwood floor, you can refinish your Santos mahogany floor and bring back the shine.
How to get the best price on Santos mahogany flooring
BuildDirect seems to be one of the best places to buy Santos mahogany flooring from. Besides the best prices, their customer-friendly policies make shopping from them a pleasure.