With kitchen islands you can create…
- extra storage area in your kitchen.
- a place to work, where you can prepare your favorite food.
- a place where you can clean your dishes and utensils.
- a place where you can eat with your family.
Types of kitchen islands
There are two types of kitchen islands…
- portable kitchen islands.
- custom kitchen islands.
Before choosing the type of your kitchen island, carefully consider how you will use it. The kitchen island that you will use as a storage area will be different from one that you will use for washing, cooking and/or eating on.
- Will you prepare food on it?
- Will you eat with your family on it?
- Will you wash dishes on it or just store them on it?
The answers to these questions, along with the size of your kitchen and the sum you can afford, will help you decide on what type of kitchen island is best for you.
Custom kitchen islands review
You can have this type of kitchen island custom made by specialists. In addition to the storage area, you can build devices in it, such as…
- a sink.
- small refrigerator or refrigerated drawers.
- cooking surfaces, oven, microwave.
- warming drawers, to keep food warm if necessary…
You can choose your own shape for this type of kitchen island. For example, rectangular, square, oval, round, L-shaped or other broken lines.
You can make your island with a multi-level countertop; with, for example, a lower level on which to prepare food and an upper one to eat. The height of the dining area depends on the type of seating you want: standard chairs, stools or bar stools.
It’s also a good idea to match the design of your custom island with the design of your kitchen, so that everything harmonizes.
For the countertop of this kitchen island you can use wood, natural stone, stainless steel, etc. Which material is suitable for your countertop depends on what you will use it for. For example, for safety, it is a good idea to use stone or steel around places you will cook because they resist the heat of hot pots and pans. You can also use these materials around the sink. A wooden countertop is suitable for food preparation.
You can use this type of kitchen island not only as a storage area, but also for a cleaning center or place where you can eat or prepare food. However, not every kitchen is suitable for installing a custom kitchen island. You must consider factors such as…
1. The space: there must be at least 42 inches (107 cm) of space from the outermost edge of the island to surrounding objects, on all sides. Only then will you be able to walk around the island without difficulty, and open the doors of the cabinets and appliances.
If you work with other people in the kitchen, you can avoid problems by increasing the distance to 48 inches (122 cm).
2. Ventilation: this needs to be considered if you intend to use your island for cooking on. A hood, suspended from the ceiling, is one solution. A downdraft, installed behind the cook top, is another. You should consult a specialist regarding the selection of a suitable ventilation system.
3. Light: good lighting is closely related to the functionality of your kitchen island. One solution is a lamp, suspended from the ceiling and directed towards the surfaces of the island. Another solution is to fix a number of lamps to the hood (if you intend to have one).
4. Electricity: consider this if you intend to use electrical appliances on your customs island. Place the outlets for these appliances in a place on the island where they will not come into contact with water and splashes from washing and cooking, thus avoiding electric shocks.
5. Water supply and drainage: this should be considered if you intend to use water on your island. The best solution here is to consult a specialist, because the use of water requires changes to your kitchen floor.