This easy low carb egg roll in a bowl combines all the goodness of spring rolls without the skin carbs of spring rolls or the fat of frying. It is compatible with paleo and keto diets. You will be surprised how awesome it is and how incredibly simple it is.
- 1-½ tbsp Vegetable oil
- ¾ pounds Bulk Pork Sausage
- 1 Medium sweet onion halved and thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 Large Carrots Cut Into Fine Matchsticks
- 1 tbsp Fresh ginger or ginger paste
- ¼ teaspoons garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoons Five Chinese Spices
- 1 Finely shredded medium head green cabbage
Add 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium heat in a large heavy skillet or wok. Cook the pork sausage until almost completely browned. Add the onion, carrots, ginger, garlic powder and Chinese five-spice (see notes) for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove from skillet and plate.
If necessary, add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add cabbage and cook until beginning to wilt, about 2 to 4 minutes; stirring several times. Return the sausage mixture to the skillet. Stir and heat for 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately.
All five Chinese spices are delicious, but I suggest adding a little at a time until your taste buds say it’s perfect.
You can add a little soy sauce to this recipe but I find it more delicious and flavorful without it.