Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Chives is a heavenly combination of mashed red potatoes with roasted garlic, sour cream, crispy bacon and fresh chives. It’s the perfect side dish for all your barbecue, beef, chicken and pork entrees.
- 1 head Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 2 pounds Red Potatoes (Jackets On)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- ⅓ cups Milk
- ½ cups Sour cream
- 4 slices Crispy cooked bacon, chopped
- ⅓ cups Chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Cut off the tip of the garlic head, exposing the cloves. Drizzle olive oil over the head, rubbing all over the cuts. Wrap in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cloves are tender.
Place the potatoes in a large pot covered with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain well.
Add the butter, milk, sour cream and 4 top 6 roasted garlic cloves to the pot with the hot potatoes. Cover and let stand until the butter is melted. Mash with a potato masher or an old fashioned blender. Stir in bacon and chives. Salt and pepper to taste.
• Start with 1/3 cup of milk and add more if the consistency is too thick.
• Garlic will come straight out of the clove if you gently squeeze the bottom.
• You can reserve 1 slice of chopped bacon and 1 tablespoon of chives for the top. The number of garlic cloves you add should match your taste for garlic.