A hearty one-pot whole chicken casserole recipe that’s as healthy as it is deliciously flavorful!! GF, DF.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 Entire chicken
- 2 tablespoons Gluten-free flour, heaped
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb mix
- 3 Onions, quartered
- 3 Large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ pounds, ⅞ ounces, weight Button Mushrooms, Or Mushrooms Of Your Choice, Sliced
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 2 cups Low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Cornmeal dissolved in a little chicken broth
Preheat the oven to 250°C (482°F).
In a large casserole (I like to use a metal casserole, but ceramic is fine), heat the coconut oil in the oven for 10 minutes.
Cut the chicken into 8 pieces – thighs, thighs, breasts (you can cut them in half) and wings, discard the spine.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and herbs. Toss the chicken pieces in the flour.
Take the casserole out of the oven and gently toss the chicken pieces into the hot oil (it should simmer), return to the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown.
Reduce oven temperature to 160°C (320°F).
Stir the onions, garlic, mushrooms, coconut milk, chicken broth, cornmeal mixture and any remaining seasoned flour mixture into the pan and bake in the center of the oven with the lid on for 45 minutes .
Uncover and continue cooking for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is browned and cooked through.
Serve hot with brown rice, lentils or quinoa (or a mix of the three like me!) and a side of vegetables or salad.