If you are looking for a natural stone floor that is harder and more durable than marble, granite flooring is the one for you.
Advantages of granite flooring
- Granite is very hard as it is formed when volcanic magma solidifies naturally. Therefore it is also very durable and best suited for areas such as the kitchen floorwhere there is action and high humidity.
- The granite floor is easy to maintainand with a little maintenance it will last until the next generation.
- Granite is not as porous as marble and other natural stones. Therefore it does not corrode, stain or scratch easily. It can also withstand high kitchen temperatures and not crack. If properly sealed, granite does not require resealing as often as other natural stones.
- The granite floor is usually dark in color, so it looks grand. So it can change the atmosphere of your home and brings a higher resale value.
- Since the colors and patterns on granite floor tiles are naturally formed, each piece of granite will look different and yet blend well with other pieces, which together can add to the aesthetics. of your kitchen floor. Also the color variations are so much that the granite floor tiles they can fit into any style of interior design.
- Due to its almost non-porous surface, the granite floor does not accumulate bacteria, mold and allergens, thus keeping your kitchen in the best hygienic condition.
- In order to further blend in with the interior design of your kitchen and furniture, granite tile flooring comes in various man-made finishes. You can have a high gloss finish, in which the granite crystals can be clearly seen, or you can go for a matte finish, which is also known as the honed finish. A satin finish or leather finish is intermediate between a high gloss and a honed finish. Then there is also the flamed and brushed finish.
Disadvantages of granite flooring
- The granite floor becomes cold and uncomfortable during the winter. This limitation can be dealt with using modern home heating systems.
- Due to the hardness of the granite floor, it does not absorb the impact of walking, like wood. Therefore standing for long hours in the kitchen can be quite uncomfortable. Carpets can be placed on these areas of action, especially around countertops and sinks, in order to soften the impact and provide comfort for the soles of the feet and joints.
Cost of granite flooring
Granite flooring comes in the price range of $3 to $4 plus per square foot. You will have to pay separately for the installation. There are certain factors on which the price depends, such as the manufacturing company and the country of origin. Other obvious factors include tile size, thickness, color, natural patterns and the square footage of your kitchen floor.
Granite flooring can be an expensive deal. However it is a one time investment that can last a lifetime.
Tips for buying granite floor tiles
1. It is a good idea to buy some extra boxes of tiles to replace broken tiles in the future. You may never find the same design and model later. Even if you do, they can be comparatively expensive.
2. The good grade granite floor is beveled and calibrated in the workshop to give it a sophisticated and elegant look.
3. If you installed a granite countertop or granite backsplash in the kitchen, you can choose the same type of granite floor tiles to maintain uniformity.
4. No matter how beautiful your granite floor tiles may be, if they don’t match well with the rest of your kitchen interior design, they can look odd. An experienced interior designer can use granite pieces of different shapes and colors to form a unique pattern that stands out.
5. You can also use the color and size of your granite floor tiles to give your kitchen a spacious look. For this you will have to choose a lighter color shade and a tile size that is slightly larger.
6. If you ever go for the polished finish, you must understand that a wet floor can lead to accidents due to slipping, especially if you have small children around the house. If you are concerned about this, you can always go in for the finished granite floor honed.
7. If you want to reduce the seams and grout lines, you should go for larger size tiles. This will also make the granite floor easier to clean.
Installation of granite flooring
Installing a granite floor is a lot of hard and dirty work. As a do-it-yourself project, it can take a long time and not bring the best results. So let a professional installer do the work for you. The professionals not only do the job accurately, they also know how many tiles will be needed and how to fit the tiles along walls and cabinets in an aesthetic way. They know how to prepare the floor surface with the right underlayment to keep the tiles level and aligned. Since your granite floor will represent your style for a long time, it is best to let a professional do the work.
A skilled person knows how to make the necessary marks and arrange the various patterned tiles uniformly. By using pallets from different boxes rather than from one box, an experienced installer can avoid odd spots in the granite floor.
Maintenance of granite floors
The most relevant maintenance instructions will be provided by the manufacturer. So you must follow those instructions.
Over the years, your granite floor may have to endure spills of drinks and food products. This can lead to staining. Additionally, corrosive cleaning liquids can dissolve grout lines, making them appear dark and prominent. You may therefore have to arrange for regular resealing, depending on the level of work carried out.
As a daily cleaning measure you can sweep the granite floor or vacuum it. Thereafter using a damp mop with soap will suffice. Never use phenyls or corrosive cleaning agents. They can eat into the sealant and expose the grout lines.
Although granite is very solid, you don’t take any chances. If there is a spill of acidic organic liquids such as lemon juice, vinegar or tomato juice, wipe immediately to avoid etching.
How to get the best price on a granite floor
Amazon and BuildDirect seem to be some of the best places to buy granite flooring from (sponsored links). Besides the best prices, their customer-friendly policies make shopping from them a pleasure.