With the help of kitchen mixers, together with their different attachments, you can make a variety of delicious food. For example, pastries, ice cream, fresh fruit and vegetable juices, sausages, etc.
Types of kitchen mixers
There are two types of kitchen mixer:
- Hand mixers (portable).
- Stand mixers (stationary).
Which type of mixer will work best for you depends on how often you use it and especially what you use it for.
You can use mostly hand mixers for easier jobs to do occasionally; for example, beating egg whites or cream, preparing batter for pancakes or biscuits, mashing potatoes, etc.
Usually hand mixers are equipped with two traditional beaters, but you can find mixers with a greater number of accessories; with, for example, a wire whisk and/or dough hooks, which help you do more things with your mixer.
Because of their low price (from less than $15 to about $100), it’s good to have some hand mixers in your home. The exact price you will have to pay depends on their functionality and construction.
Features of hand kitchen mixers
1. Number of speeds: using hand kitchen mixers that have a greater number of speeds (5 or more), gives you greater control over the beaten mixture. For example, with the lowest speed you can start beating the ingredients without spilling them from the bowl. With a fast speed you can create the volume of air that is needed to beat the egg whites or the cream.
2. Weight and noise during operation: you work more pleasantly with light, silent and well-balanced hand mixers. A weight of about 2 pounds (0.91 kg) is acceptable.
3. Design: it will be more comfortable for you to hold hand mixers that have a curved handle at the back than those whose handle is parallel to their body. With such a handle, you reduce the tension in your hands while working.
For cleaning after use, it is better to have a mixer with a simple design; that is, without too many fittings and details where dirt can collect over time.
Some hand mixers are equipped with a base that includes a mixing bowl, as in stand mixers, and you can separate the mixer from this base. The good thing here is that, in addition to the mobility of the hand mixer, you have an extra mixing bowl.
There are also hand mixers with only one beater (also known as hand blenders). However, with these elegant devices you have more limited possibilities for use.
Advantages of hand mixers compared to stand mixers
- hand mixers save space on your countertop area; they are small, compact, and easily stored (you can put them in a drawer).
- their price is lower than that of stand mixers, but they allow you to perform many tasks in the kitchen in the same way as you do with a stand mixer.
- due to their mobility (some do not even need a cable) hand mixers will be easier to use when performing simple tasks. In addition, you can use them to mix in your favorite bowl, unlike with a stand mixer, where you have to use the bowl that comes with the mixer.
- hand mixers are not robust enough to withstand intensive use or to perform heavy-duty tasks (for example, kneading bread) due to their delicate construction and low power.
Click here for the best deals on hand mixers