With kitchen rugs you can…
- it brings warmth, color and a cheerful mood to your kitchen.
- Hide old defects, if you have any, on the kitchen floor.
- revivify the floor, if you think it is not attractive enough.
- keep the floor in good condition, protect it from damage and stains.
- prevent, to some extent, fallen objects from breaking.
- make your work in the kitchen more pleasant, by feeling their warmth and softness under your feet…
However the kitchen is a special room in our house. For that reason kitchen rugs should be multi-functional. They must have certain properties that other carpets do not normally have. The following tips are based on these properties. By reading them, you will know which rugs to place in front of the main areas of your kitchen, for example…
- in front of the sink.
- in front of the range.
- in front of the countertop.
- in front of the fridge.
What properties should kitchen rugs have
1. Look for kitchen rugs that have the ability to withstand intensive use. The kitchen is usually a high traffic region, being one of the most frequently used rooms.
2. Kitchen rugs should also have the ability to resist water and humidity. It is normal for there to be more humidity in the kitchen than in other rooms, due to cooking and washing.
3. An important thing for safety in your home is that your kitchen rugs can withstand high temperatures (or, at least, to have a high ignition temperature). We all have accidents. Sometimes we can spill hot liquid or food on the floor while we are cooking, or leave a hot utensil…
4. You want to be able to clean your carpets comparatively easily, so it is better if they are machine washable. It is normal if stains appear on your floor (on the carpets too) in the kitchen during cooking or washing. If your kitchen has an outside entrance, your carpets will get dirty even faster.
If you place machine washable mats in front of your sink, range or fridge, you will be able to use them again and again, without them getting dirty or dirty.
5. Kitchen rugs should be thick. The thickness refers to the amount of threads and how tightly they are woven. It is better if the threads are short, because then the carpet will have a tighter texture.
6. Use kitchen mats with a non-slip pad underneath, between the carpets and the floor; or with a non-slip backing on their underside. Then, your carpet will be stable and it will be much less likely to slip on it. By using a non-slip pad you also…
- prolong the life of your carpet, let its fabrics breathe.
- avoid pressing the carpet to the floor, which results from the exhaustion of its pile after long-term use.
- clean your carpet more easily with a vacuum cleaner.
- it protects your kitchen floor from scratches, if it has a smooth surface.
The pad is an accessory, so it is sold separately from your mat. Usually the characteristics of the pad and the kitchen rug itself are stated by their manufacturers on the label, or in a brochure. The material used for these pads is usually polyurethane, polyester or rubber.
Materials for kitchen mats
Look for small rugs, made from some of the following materials…
- polypropylene (olefin).
These materials are…
- strong and durable.
- water and stain resistant (repel liquids).
- easy to clean and maintain.
- resistant to high traffic and moisture (although wool absorbs moisture).
Wool is a soft, luxurious and natural material (it’s like a gold standard against which all other materials are measured). It resists fire well and reduces noise well. Along with nylon, you can find them in different colors.
Design of kitchen rugs
You can find rugs with different shapes…
- round, oval…
With different colors and designs…
- solid color.
- representing different geometric figures.
- different foods, plants, animals, drinks…
With different styles…
Choose the design of your kitchen rugs so that they complement the overall look of the kitchen. If your kitchen (the floor, the walls, the interior furniture…) already has a sufficient pattern, it may be better to use solid color kitchen rugs. However if clean and deep colors predominate, carpets with a pattern will introduce an element of vitality. In this way you avoid the excessive use of different colors and maintain the beauty of the carpets and their influence on the decoration of your kitchen.
It is important that choose suitable kitchen rugs (sponsored link). Consider the above tips carefully. Think about the way you use your kitchen and the way you can use it in the future.