There is a great variety of dishes for baking. The shape, size and material of the pans you buy will depend on what and how you cook and what you already own. If you are an experienced baker, you probably know very well what dishes you need for baking and how big they need to be. On the other hand, if you are just starting out in the art of baking, it is a good idea to think about a kitchen oven set that contains some of the most basic dishes. For example, a cake pan, a cake pan, a muffin pan, two round cake pans and a loaf pan.
As time passes and you become more skilled, you can add different types of dish, or different sizes of the same. For example, other dishes can be roasting pans, tube pans, bundt pans, springform pans, casseroles, etc.
Materials for the kitchen oven
Each bakeware material possesses its own particular advantages and disadvantages. For example, aluminium, copper and tin are very good conductors of heat, so you can prepare your food quickly at temperatures that are not so high. The disadvantage of aluminum is that it is susceptible to rust and can react with foods containing acids such as wine, tomatoes and lemons, giving them a metallic taste; that’s why you can see it in combination with other metals, such as stainless steel or tin.
It is a good idea to look for anodized aluminum. It is harder and more durable than ordinary aluminum; it is more resistant to scratches; and does not rust or react with food.
Copper, even though it is quite expensive, can also react with food like those mentioned above, and it can also appear in combination with other metals.
Cast iron and stone are wonderful for long cooking, because they heat slowly in the oven. In addition, they cool slowly and keep your food warm for a long time after it comes out of the oven.
However, cast iron also has its disadvantages. It is heavy. In addition, it can rust, so it is a good idea to look for enameled cast iron, which is covered with porcelain enamel. This makes it easy to clean and resistant to rust. It also reduces the likelihood that the material will react with food.
Silicone and ovenproof glass are multifunctional materials. For example, you can take them out of the fridge and immediately put them in the microwave. In addition, dishes made of these materials can, as a general rule, be washed in the dishwasher.
Ovenproof glass is scratch-resistant, stain-resistant, does not absorb odors, is easy to clean, and does not react with food.
Silicone does not absorb and retain heat, so your food starts to cool as soon as it comes out of the oven. It is a naturally non-stick material, making it easy to remove prepared food and clean dishes. In addition, silicone is durable, lightweight, and does not absorb odors. It can also be stored easily, because it is flexible and can be folded.
Porcelain and oven ceramics are durable, attractive, do not absorb odors, and are easily cleaned. In addition, food in a ceramic dish is especially delicious. These materials have similar qualities to silicone and oven glass.
There are different types of steel. Stainless steel, for example, is strong and beautiful and easy to clean. However, food prepared in such dishes is not very tasty. Since stainless steel is not a good conductor of heat, you can see it together with copper, aluminum or tin.
Factors to consider when choosing kitchen bakeware
1. Thickness of metal bakeware: choose a dish made of heavy metal. Such a dish will cook your food evenly because it will resist chipping and will deform less at high temperatures.
2. Non-stick coating for the removal of easily prepared food, especially food, whose shape must be preserved during service. A non-stick coating also makes it easy to clean the dishes after use.
The nonstick coating of quality dishes can consist of several layers, which makes it strong, durable and resistant to scratches.
3. Color of the dish: light and shiny dishes will contribute to the uniform baking of your food because they do not absorb and retain heat as much as dark dishes. In general, light dishes are best suited for food that does not require much preparation.
A dark dish with a matte finish will cook your food faster and is best suited for food that needs a thicker crust. Usually, dishes with a nonstick coating are dark in color. Consider if it wouldn’t be better to use a dish without a lining like this for a particular meal, just cover it with some of the liners below.
4. Easily maintained: dishes with this feature can have non-slip silicone handles, which are not very hot after taking the dish out of the oven. The handles can also be dish extensions, etc.
Extra accessories to make your work comfortable
1. Aluminum foil pots: these plates are primarily for disposable use and are a good variant in case you want to carry prepared food from one place to another without worrying about what will happen to the dish after that.
2. Cooling racks: for the correct cooling of the food after it comes out of the oven.
3. Parchment paper or silicone baking liners: to put on plates without a non-stick coating. Therefore, the food will not stick to them and you will be able to cook with the minimum amount of fat.
Silicone baking liners are practical because they are easy to clean and you can use them again and again, saving both time and money.
4. Mixing bowls: these are available from different materials and in various configurations, and some of them are designed for a stand mixer.
5. Spoons and measuring cupspastry brushes, rubber spatulas, sieves, rolling pins…
Good kitchen appliances are expensive but will last for many years, so buy the best you can afford. With such bakeware you not only bake with pleasure, but serve with pleasure as well.
Carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the use and care of your dishes. For example, never use metal utensils with non-stick coated plates; use only wooden, plastic or rubber utensils. Also, be careful not to damage the coating if you wash the dish with abrasive cleaners.
When storing bakeware, be careful not to put it in contact with other objects, to avoid scratches or deformation.
Click here for the best kitchen oven deals