The kitchen is incomplete without beautiful cabinets. Not only do they give visual appeal, but they have top of the list functionality as well. Depending on the decoration, size and how much you use the kitchen, you can choose a cabinet that suits your needs. Beautiful kitchen base cabinets give a lot of appeal when you are looking for buyers for your home as well. Kitchen base cabinets come in all shapes and sizes and you can buy one and completely transform your kitchen.
Installation of kitchen base cabinets
You can install the kitchen base cabinets yourself and all it needs is some tools and time. Here are a simple set of instructions you can follow to install the kitchen cabinet of your dreams:
1. The first step in installing the kitchen base cabinet is to get the studs right. The studs will anchor the cabinet so they are extremely important. Once you have the first stud in place, the next one should be 16 inches apart. 16 inches is usually the measurement used in most kitchen base cabinets (however, it’s worth double-checking for your cabinets). Then you need to mark both ends of the stud.
2. To install the kitchen base cabinet, you need to check if your floor is level. This is because if the floor is not level, all the cabinets will not line up and the top slab will either not fit or be uneven. If the floor is not level, check for the highest point on the floor. From there measure up to 34 or 35 inches, depending on how tall the kitchen base cabinet is. Then create a line along the top using a carpenter’s level.
3. Install the first section in the corner and raise it to the reference points using wooden shims.
4. Using 2 and a half inch screws, attach the kitchen base cabinet from the back register to the marked studs.
5. Cut off any protruding shims using a utility knife.
6. Put the next cabinet in place, make sure it is at the right level and screw it to the cabinet next to it using long screws.
7. Install the cabinet doors and hood after the cabinet is in place.
Kitchen base cabinet dimensions
Base kitchen cabinets are usually between 34 to 35 inches and in most cases are 34.5 inches high. The depth of these cabinets is 24 inches, which gives you enough space to store everything as well as being able to reach all the way too. The width of the kitchen base cabinets starts at 6 inches and increases 3 inches as you move up to a larger size. The maximum size is usually 48 inches. However, kitchen base cabinets are available in various other dimensions and you can even get them custom made if required. Therefore, you must check your kitchen and see the dimensions of the kitchen base cabinet that will be most suitable for your needs.
Kitchen base cabinet construction
The kitchen base cabinet is usually made of 5/8 inch melamine coated particle board. Most cabinet makers find this material the most suitable despite its drawbacks. The kitchen base cabinets are built on two sides – back and bottom. The upper cabinets always have a bottom, top and two gable ends. The kitchen base cabinets do not need an upper because the countertop will serve the purpose.
Once you have decided on the material and have completed the initial structure, you must look to make the cabinet doors. For this you need to calculate the size of the door. There are a few things to keep in mind while doing this. You need to decide on the door hinges you want to use and look at what type of cabinet you have built. Door measurements depend on whether it is a European or North American face frame.
Kitchen base cabinet price
The price of kitchen base cabinets varies largely depending on – the material used, size, functionality and quality. You can get an average functional kitchen base cabinet for a very reasonable price or you can buy one already used in good condition.
Every kitchen is different and so are the needs of every home. Choosing the right kitchen base cabinet can give a real face to any cooking space.
What do you think about all this?
Have a suggestion or comment about kitchen base cabinets? Please share your thoughts with us by filling out the comment form at the bottom of the page.