So the time has come for you to renew your kitchen or set up a new one and your mind is already flooding with great ideas to give it the best look. But will it work exactly as you planned? Chances are that the final product may not be what you thought. This is where you need a kitchen designer to turn all your planned ideas and thoughts into a complete reality.
Compare quotes from top decorators and designers #CommissionsEarned
Kitchen designers are competent enough to get the right picture of what your kitchen really is in terms of space or layout and are able to give the right judgment of what really it will work for you. As a novice you may be tempted to incorporate jazzy designs or hardware for your kitchen, but a kitchen designer can show you how simple designs can probably make it look much better. In short, they have greater clarity and better perspective.
So what are the advantages of working with a kitchen designer? Quite a few to consider:
1. Kitchen designers have experience so they can envision the exact placement and layout of kitchen hardware such as cabinets, peninsula or island etc.
2. Kitchen designers have a good knowledge of which materials are suitable for a particular style or design. So they can help you make an informed decision.
3. Kitchen designers can help you choose cabinets, doors, tiles etc. that are not only of your choice but also within your budget.
4. Kitchen designers are aware of the latest trends for kitchens so they can help you get newer and more functional kitchen cabinets etc.
5. Kitchen designers can give you more functional ideas than what you might have already thought of.
6. Kitchen designers have experience working with many hardware stores for their implementations; so they can advise you on what hardware to buy from.
7. Kitchen designers have an eye for detail that you, as a novice, may miss.
8. The final look is there to stay for a long time, so some investment in terms of their fees justifies the great look that will get your kitchen.
Now that you see the brighter side of a kitchen designer, you must find one. So how do you find a kitchen designer that suits you?
1. The first and best source is your own network of friends or family. If someone has hired a kitchen designer in the past, they can refer and share their experience of hiring one.
2. Your local hardware stores have many such contacts.
3. In case you know an interior designer, they are a good source to help you with kitchen designers.
4. You can conduct some research on the Internet (websites like House Counsel (sponsored link)) and home interior design magazines. Home decor magazines usually have huge articles and information about kitchen designs and people who design them.
With all your search and research for a kitchen designer, you may still be apprehensive about their work style and your budget going. You can take a few tips to choose a kitchen designer to get rid of any doubts:
1. Kitchen design is a time consuming process so you need to hire the right designer. Don’t rush and take your time to choose the right one, even if it takes a month or two.
2. Once you have selected your options, know their credentials and previous stints.
3. You can contact them to see their sample work in terms of pictures or any site they are working on.
4. Tell them about your maximum budget to help them decide if they can deliver what you want within that limit and save you from any future surprises.
5. Check if they work for a kitchen appliance store or brand or if they work independently. They can be more of a sales person for the firm than your personal designer.
6. Discuss with them the time limits, work schedules etc. before assigning them your contract. This will ensure that the two do not end up deadlocked for time.
7. Choose someone who is close to your area. Choosing a kitchen designer who is at one end of town and you at the other will only increase the time span of your renovation job and may cause problems due to travel delays etc.
You should freely discuss what you have planned and what you really want. A good kitchen designer will always mix his expertise with your taste and give the right look.
What are your thoughts on kitchen designers?
Do you have a suggestion or comment about working with kitchen designers? Please share your thoughts with us by filling out the comment form at the bottom of the page.