What type of faucet will work best for you depends on your specific needs. You may want to have different kitchen faucets for various uses, or you may want to add particular accessories to your faucet.
Special features of kitchen faucets
Types of handle
Some faucets have only one handle, either attached to the spout or standing apart from it. With these faucets you can quickly and easily control the flow of water and its temperature with one hand. This is it especially useful when your hands are full or dirty.
Other kitchen faucets have two handles: one for cold water and the other for hot. The existence of two knobs and two water flows will help you adjust the water temperature more precisely. More designs are available for two-handled faucets, too.
If the handles have a lever or cross shape, you will be able to grab them and turn them more easily; levers are especially suitable for people with various physical disabilities.
Types of spout
Kitchen faucet balls can be long, curved, straight, short, etc. Look for a faucet where the spout directs water toward the center of your sink basin.
If you are washing large pots or pans, choose a faucet with a large spout that can be set aside, with a high arch; for example, one about 14 inches (36 cm) long. Then it will be easy to put your large kitchen utensils in the sink and remove them after washing. Again choose a faucet with a large spout if your sink is large or you have several basins. Then the spout will cover as much of the sink as possible.
There is also one special spout – also known as a pot filler. Install it on the wall next to the range to fill large pots with water when cooking. This saves you from having to carry these heavy utensils from the sink to the range. For this salt you usually need a separate water pipe, which supplies cold water.
Operation of kitchen taps
The quality of the faucets depends on the materials and their way of operation. To control the flow of water, they use parts like…
- rubber washers
- ball valves
- Ceramic cartridges
- ceramic discs…
Rubber washers wear out comparatively quickly, predisposing your faucet to leaks. Ceramic discs or cartridges are much stronger and long lasting. Faucets with such parts are more expensive, however require little maintenance.
Kitchen faucet materials
Chrome and copper are materials of good enough quality and are among the most frequently used materials for kitchen faucets. These are also faucets that require little maintenance.
Other materials can be used for finishes on faucets, on a copper base. For example, nickel, stainless steel, copper, zinc, bronze, silver, gold, etc. These materials can have a polished or matte finish, and can be used together with porcelain, glass or wood.
Keep in mind that there are some faucets that you can buy in separate parts. Therefore, you will be able to combine different materials, colors and shapes, to create your own design.
Installation of kitchen faucets
You can install your faucet in the kitchen in three ways…
- through the sink
- through the countertop
- through the wall
Manufacturers usually provide detailed instructions on how to install the faucet. Another option is to use the services of a professional.
Some accessories are sold with your faucet, but you will need to purchase others separately. Some of them are installed in the side of your faucet, while others are attached to its spout. For accessories that you will install to the side of your faucet you will need a separate hole in the sink or countertop (which you need depends on the type of faucet installation).
1. Spray: a body with a pipe through which water flows. It helps you to wash large utensils, rinse the vegetables, clean your sink… You want to be able to reach all areas of your sink with it.
You install the side spray separately from your faucet; on the left or on the right, depending on what will be more comfortable for you.
A spray that can be drawn (from the mouth) will be your best option if you think you will use it often and you want to change the water jet quickly from normal to spray and vice versa.
2. Water filter: for water purification; drinking water, for example. The filter will eliminate dirt, rust, scale, chemicals, lead, etc. The water filters can be attached either to the faucet mouth or separately.
3. Soap dispenser: container for hand soap supply. Install it separately from your faucet and eliminate the need for a bottle with liquid soap on the countertop, thus creating a more tidy appearance.
4. Hot water dispenser: with a nozzle, which provides hot water. You can use it to prepare different drinks, for example, tea and coffee. You usually install it separately from your faucet.
5. Hole cover: put it in the holes of the sink or countertop that you no longer use. For example, if you no longer want a soap dispenser, you can cover the hole left by it with the hole cover. Such covers are useful as they improve the aesthetic appearance of your countertop and sink, leaving open the option of installing more accessories later.
6. Shield plate: this functions like the hole cover, but you can cover several holes with it, not just one. You will add beauty to your faucet with it. It is desirable that its color matches the color of the faucet.
7. Spill protection: with this function you can set the maximum water temperature, to avoid being burned by extremely hot water. It is especially useful if you have small children at home.
1. It is good if the design of your faucet complements that of your sink (or of the kitchen furniture, for example, the metal objects in the room).
2. When buying kitchen faucets (with possible accessories), you should keep the following factors in mind, to avoid installation problems…
- the number of holes available in your sink, countertop or wall
- the size of these holes and the spaces between them
- the size of the outlets for the water supply in the wall
3. The prices of the faucets vary according to the quality. Buy the best faucet you can afford. This is a device that you will use constantly, so you need quality materials and construction.
4. If you want your faucet to be accessible to people with disabilities, look for one that complies with the requirements of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).