The kitchen is thought to be the heart of a home… it is the place where meals are prepared and served (in most cases). It is also the area where a household spends most of its time. That is why it is essential that this kitchen space is convenient, comfortable and efficient. By following some simple kitchen interior design ideas, you too can create a kitchen that is easy on the eyes as well as easy/fun to work in!
When coming up with kitchen interior design ideas, keep the kitchen triangle in mind – general layout, specific fixtures/installations and the theme. While planning the kitchen design, these are the things you need to follow:
1. Get an idea of the space you have at your disposal. Measure it and make a note of all essential services such as electrical outlets, water faucets, and light switches that are already available.
2. Design a basic layout for the kitchen keeping in mind the space available to you. You can choose one of the five basic layouts – the U shape, the I shape, the L shape, the G shape or the parallel layout in which two rows of countertops run parallel to each other. Another layout that has become popular is the island layout. In this layout, you can create an island using a sink, a dishwasher, or a basic cabinet or desk in the middle of the kitchen.
3. See the basic equipment you need and the models available in the market.
4. Another element that is essential for the interior design of your kitchen is the existing service. Pay attention to the spaces to fit the plumbing, faucets, garbage disposal unit and dishwasher among others.
5. You also need to figure out the light, how to make effective use of the available natural light and additional lighting requirements.
6. Make whatever type of floor you want – wood, stone, carpet, vinyl, concrete, cork etc. it is also an important aspect of the interior design of the kitchen.
7. Next comes the wall – You can decide what color you want for your walls or you can go for wallpaper, laminates or some special paint…
8. The electricity requirement and the number of outlets needed to accommodate all the appliances is also an essential consideration while finalizing the interior design of the kitchen.
9. Different types of cabinets are available in the market; you need to figure out which one goes with your kitchen interior design ideas.
10. You should also keep in mind the areas for storage… the size of the cabinets, the countertops should be able to accommodate the equipment as well as leave adequate space for movement.
However, if you are not planning to build a completely new kitchen but are just looking for some remodeling or renovation, then you can follow these kitchen interior design ideas:
1. The easiest way to give a new face to the old kitchen is by changing the color of the walls. You can repaint the walls, apply a new coating, change the wallpaper or add a border… you can also add some paintings to the kitchen area to add your own signature style.
2. If you don’t want to change the whole look, you can just add a couple of new devices! Throw out the old cooking range and replace it with a modern chic stainless steel one.
3. You can change the color of the cabinets only. If they are dark, paint them a shade lighter or vice versa. You can get new ones or if your budget doesn’t allow it, you can simply replace the door or the knobs/handles with new modern ones.
4. Another change you can make in the interior design of your kitchen is to change the lighting… you can choose low mood lighting in the general areas with direct light falling on the areas you use mostly (like a stove).
5. If you have a small space, then you can splurge on some space-saving products such as dishwashers that can be used as a sink. You can also choose to hang those pans and pots that you use often instead of storing them in the cabinets.
6. Add a few accessories… put some fresh flowers in a vase, or put up pictures of your family or framed paintings.
By following these basic kitchen interior design ideas, you can create a brand new kitchen area or turn an old kitchen into a new one!
Meanwhile, here is a kitchen interior design software that will also help you while planning your kitchen.