If you have a large kitchen area and you don’t know how to use it, then installing an island is the best possible alternative. A kitchen island design not only uses the extra space, it is also one of the most famous layout options.
Earlier, a kitchen island design was only used when a work table was needed but now there are many such designs available that extend the use of a kitchen island. You can incorporate the kitchen island design ideas for more convenience in cooking, storage and other activities.
There are several types of kitchen islands available
1. The super size are for those kitchens where there is a lot of space available to play; the large islands are used where adequate area is available; medium-sized islands fit into a normal-sized kitchen; and the compact islands (which are portable) are used in smaller sized kitchens.
2. Kitchen islands are also available depending on the counter top… for example you can go for a granite counter top or a marble counter which are good for baking dough as well as rolling it. If you like, you can also choose a wooden counter top. Choosing wood is easier than granite and marble. Nowadays, counter tops made of stainless steel are also available.
3. You can choose the design of the kitchen island based on the shape of the island. There are square, round, triangle and rectangle kitchen islands available in the market. However before you zero in on any particular shape, make sure it matches your kitchen layout as well.
4. In addition to the variations mentioned above, kitchen islands are also available according to their portability. A fixed island cannot be moved and is permanently attached to a particular space. A portable island is one that is mobile and has wheels attached to it. They are a good choice for a medium sized kitchen as you can move them as and when you want. There are folding kitchen islands available as well. These are perfect for the small kitchen. You can use them whenever necessary and then fold them very conveniently and put them in the store.
In addition to using them as a work station, there are many other uses for your kitchen island and there are various design ideas that you can implement in the available space. For example, you can fit the island with a sink, dishwasher or cabinet drawers for storage purposes. You can also put in a cooking range and use it as a cook top. You can also use it as a room divider. If you are the party type, you can use the kitchen island as a place to serve snacks or as a buffet counter!
These kitchen islands work very well in U-shaped and L-shaped kitchen layouts as they help shorten the distance between work centers and help improve the efficiency in the kitchen as you don’t have to keep running around.
Here are some kitchen island design ideas that you can follow
1. You can use a large kitchen island as a dining area and also install a sink, dishwasher and cabinets to store items.
2. Another kitchen island design incorporates an antique table supported on wheels. This table not only adds a rustic touch to the kitchen but also adds storage area.
3. When you are putting a kitchen island design in order, see if any side is visible from the living room. If it is, you will have to decorate and use the island accordingly.
4. A very practical idea of the design of the kitchen island is the use of a two-level island. This helps demarcate the cooking area from the service area.
5. If you have a very large area then you can also think about placing two kitchen islands.
6. The most important thing while incorporating any kitchen island design idea is to make sure that the island does not stand out; it should blend well with the general theme as well as with the mood of the kitchen.
7. You can choose a kitchen island with a round edge as it softens the edges and creates an informal atmosphere.
A kitchen island has many uses. It can be used to beautify the kitchen space; you can install devices and use them if you have space restrictions; you can use the space to store extra household items; you can put the stove there and use it for the purpose of cooking; you can also use it as a space where the whole family can sit together and enjoy some delicious food as well as each other’s pleasant company!
In the meantime, here is a program that will help you realize your kitchen island design ideas.