With kitchen islands you can create…
- extra storage area in your kitchen.
- a place to work, where you can prepare your favorite food.
- a place where you can clean your dishes and utensils.
- a place where you can eat with your family.
Types of kitchen islands
There are two types of kitchen islands…
- portable kitchen islands.
- custom kitchen islands.
Before choosing the type of your kitchen island, carefully consider how you will use it. The kitchen island that you will use as a storage area will be different from one that you will use for washing, cooking and/or eating on.
- Will you prepare food on it?
- Will you eat with your family on it?
- Will you wash dishes on it or just store them on it?
The answers to these questions, along with the size of your kitchen and the sum you can afford, will help you decide on what type of kitchen island is best for you.
Portable kitchen islands review
Portable kitchen islands are available as a ready-to-use variant, looking like a cabinet or table with a rectangular or square shape. They can offer you…
- countertop for work.
- cabinets for pots and pans.
- shelves for recipe books.
- drawers for utensils.
- shelves, towel and cutlery racks, wine racks…
The countertop of the portable kitchen islands is often made of only one material, but it can consist of a combination of materials as well, depending on the needs of your work; for example, wood together with stainless steel is a possibility. It can also come with a drop leaf, to save space when not in use.
Some portable kitchen islands have wheels, so they can be easily moved from one place to another (for example, next to the range or the sink, depending on your specific needs). Others have legs or feet, which make them look more like furniture.
When using this type of kitchen island, you can not build in appliances. You can use them mainly for storing utensils or preparing food. In general, portable kitchen islands are a a good solution if you have a small kitchen. Click here for the best deals on kitchen islands and carts.