Why does it make sense to think about a kitchen knife set?
1. It is very likely that knives bought in a set will be cheaper than the same knives bought individually.
2. The set can contain a storage system for your knives. There can be a wooden, stainless steel, glass or plastic block with a slot for each knife, which is a wonderful way to store your knives. Some sets even have blocks with free slots for extra knives. You can fill these slots later, with, for example, a pair of steak knives.
With a transparent glass or plastic block, you can see the blades of your knives, making it easy for you to find the one you want, when you want it. Alternatively, the storage system can be a box or box made of aluminum or wood. A set like this is a good variant in case you are a cook and move from one place to another, because it offers a safe way of transporting your knives.
3. The set may contain sharpened steel. This is a a necessary tool to keep your knives sharp.
When you buy the steel together with the set, you can be sure that they are from the same manufacturer and that the hardness of the sharpening steel conforms to the hardness of the blades of the knives from the set.
4. The set may contain scissors that you can use for different purposes. For example…
- to open packages with food
- to reduce kitchen paper
- to cut herbs, vegetables or dried fruit…
5. The sets of kitchen knives are also a wonderful idea for a gift, for example for a newly married couple.
Types of kitchen knife sets
Different sets contain different types of kitchen knives, to cater for various needs and different culinary skills. If you are an experienced cook, you probably have a very good idea of what knives and accessories your set should contain. For example, there are sets with 23 pieces, which allow you to perform almost any kitchen task.
If you cook mainly Asian food, choose an Asian knife set. There are some sets in which the chef’s knife is replaced by its Asian counterpart, the Santoku. The paring knife, another key knife, has a straight edge and is also suitable for Asian food.
But if you are a beginner in the culinary arts, a good set for you would be this one, which contains only the main knives…
- a chef’s knife
- paring knife
- bread knife
- one extra knife at most, for example a utility knife, in case you can’t find a set with only the first three knives
With this set you will meet most of your cutting needs. This is a better option for you than getting a set with a large assortment of knives, without knowing if you will ever use some of them. It is also a cheaper variant.
Over time, when you have a better idea of which knives will best serve your particular cooking needs, you can add other, more specialized knives to your set. For example…
- utility knife
- boning knife
- carving knife (you can find this knife as a separate set in an elegant box along with a fork)
- steak knives (you can also find these knives as a separate set in a wooden block or box)
- Asian Knives such as Santoku, Deba Knife, Usuba, Fish Knives
- special kitchen knives for cheese, fruit, tomatoes, seafood…
1. You will use your kitchen knives constantly, so choose a set with the best knives you can afford. Some of the highest quality kitchen knife brands are the German JA Henckels and Wusthof.
2. Regardless of which set you choose, you can always buy knives individually. This can be the case when you want to…
- to restore a lost or damaged knife from the set
- to duplicate a particular knife from the set if you and someone else are going to work in the kitchen
- to have a smaller version of an existing knife from the set. For example, this may be the case if your hands are small and, in order to work more comfortably, you want a six-inch long chef’s knife instead of the eight-inch one from the set.
3. Starter sets, ie those containing only basic knives, may not include a storage system together with a sharpening steel. Choose a slightly larger set if necessary, if it has these two useful extras. Click here for the best deals on kitchen knife sets