Avgolemono, the remaining edition of Thanksgiving. Turn leftover turkey and broth into a lemon soup with orzo and peppered watercress.
- 4 cups Low sodium turkey broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups Water
- 3 Medium leeks, white and light green parts cut into 1 inch rounds, washed well
- ¾ cups Orzo
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups Pulled leftover turkey
- 2 cups Watercress, tough stems removed, and more for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
Bring broth and water to a boil over medium heat. Add leeks and orzo and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the leeks are tender and the orzo is al dente, about 8 minutes.
In a small heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Slowly stir in 1 cup broth, then gradually stir into soup. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the shredded turkey and the watercress, adjust the seasoning.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with more watercress, a little pepper and a drizzle of oil.