The success of any restaurant lies in its kitchen. There is no doubt that the kitchen is the heart of every restaurant. It is the place where all the raw materials are ready for cooking and the cooking is done so that the ordered food is ready. In the restaurant kitchen, the quality of the food prepared must always be good and the service must be quick. For the proper functioning of a restaurant, a good restaurant kitchen design should be done and expert advice should be taken if necessary.
If you make a mistake while planning and shopping for a restaurant kitchen design, you will have to pay twice as much for it (in terms of lost productivity and customer dissatisfaction). Having the perfect kitchen design for a restaurant is important because a poorly planned kitchen results in unsatisfied guests, slow food production, unhappy staff and higher labor costs.
An ideal restaurant kitchen design should be planned keeping in mind the envisaged menu. This will help you choose the appropriate equipment, build the workspace and determine capacity. These days rents and construction costs are very high, which dictate that you use every square inch of available area wisely. Restaurants must have perfect knowledge of space allocation and cooking. If you are hiring a consultant you should have an in-depth discussion before giving the assignment.
Apart from the architects, the chefs of the restaurants have good experience and will be very helpful in guiding you. They know how to layout and make perfect spacing.
Before the kitchen layout is completely designed, the first decision to be made involves the choice of fuel. One can choose from wood, propane gas, electricity, steam, natural gas and oil for heating. Wood and oil heating equipment are not given much preference as they require frequent cleaning. Commonly used fuels include propane, electricity, natural gas and steam. Basically the choice of fuel depends on the city and the type of cuisinefor example Chinese chefs prefer propane because of its extremely intense heat.
Once the fuel is decided there are other points that become important:
1. Light: A restaurant kitchen should be well lit. Lighting is important to increase work efficiency, prevent accidents, prevent wastage of food and other things and to maintain control over quality control. It is advisable to have fluorescent light fixtures for cool operating temperatures and efficiency.
2. Ventilation: Ventilation in restaurant kitchen design is another area of concern. It plays an important role in keeping the kitchen fresh and odorless. The ventilation also ensures that the smell of cooking does not enter the dining area. This in turn is useful for improving efficiency and quality. Some people even air condition the kitchen for better results.
3. Sprinkler systems: All restaurant kitchen designs must necessarily have a proper sprinkler system. These systems are of two types:
- The release of water.
- Mixed carbon dioxide fire extinguishing chemicals.
Although there are two options but mixed carbon dioxide fire extinguishing chemicals are recommended.
4. Floor covering: The floors in the restaurant kitchen should never be slippery as a slippery floor can cause accidents. Tile cladding should be avoided as it is prone to warping and cracking due to moisture. Stone chips are considered the best for these kitchens. They are cheap and can be applied quickly. Cleaning these floors is also easy and also prevents insect infestation.
5. Wall covering: The walls of the restaurant kitchen should preferably be covered with tiles or durable paint with a high gloss finish. Although the tiles are expensive, but their durability makes them cost effective. The tiles are even easy to clean, but if you choose a glossy paint it will be more expensive in the long run.
If a restaurant kitchen design is done keeping in mind the above considerations, you will definitely have a successful restaurant.
In the meantime, be sure to check out the 5D Online Kitchen Planner. This kitchen design software will be of great help to you while designing a restaurant kitchen. The program will also help you visualize your restaurant kitchen design project in realistic 3D.