If you are eco-conscious and looking for a floor that is green, then recycled rubber flooring is a good choice for you. This is made from old car tires so it’s a great way to say no to other flooring options that are harsh on the environment. Thanks to its durability and ease of maintenance, it makes a fantastic choice for those areas that see high traffic in your home such as the kitchen.
Your back and knees are not subjected to much stress because the rubber floor is soft. Its softness is also responsible for less breakage than occurs in the kitchen. The floor is available in many patterns, sizes and colors – round and diamond-shaped designs are the most commonly available.
The fact that rubber flooring is hygienic makes it a safe choice for those who suffer from allergies. It is not very slippery and provides insulation against both heat and cold. The floor absorbs excessive noise.
Dalsouple, Nora, Expanko, and ACTIVA by Pirelli are some of the leading brands for rubber flooring.
Cost of rubber flooring
Excluding the cost of installation, rubber flooring is about $2 a square foot. The model, finish and thickness are some of the factors that decide the cost of the floor. Whether you are getting recycled material or not is another determinant. The price is also dependent on the manufacturer. Where you get it – the retailer and geographic location – also influence how much the land costs you. The higher the quality, the more expensive the material.
Typically, the life of the rubber floor is 15 years and can go up to 30 years even.
Tips for buying rubber flooring
1. If you are getting rubber flooring, find out if it is made from recycled rubber.
2. For the kitchen floor, you want the floor to be resistant to moisture, stains and fire. Check if the material is suitable before you buy it.
3. The rubber floor that has a homogeneous distribution of color over the entire material is the best as it does not lose its color and thus keeps its appearance for a longer time.
4. In the event that the kitchen receives a lot of sunlight, you will need a specially treated rubber floor to ensure that the excess heat does not damage the floor.
5. The right type of rubber floor can also be used on an underlying floor that has heating elements.
6. You can get rubber flooring either as sheets or as interlocking tiles. The advantage of using tiles is that you can get unique patterns and it is also easier to install. Repairs are easier with tiles. The seams are also not very obvious if you choose the right type of design.
7. With the sheet, you get a seamless look and you can also use it on a larger area. A marble look would look great on a rubber sheet floor like this one.
8. Ask if the manufacturer can change the color of the floor to be in sync with the atmosphere of the kitchen.
9. Look for samples as this gives a feel for the product.
Installation of rubber flooring
The ground floor can be empty or it can be another pre-existing floor. But it must be prepared before laying the rubber floor.
If you like a DIY flooring project, then get interlocking rubber tiles as your work becomes easier. No glue is needed in this case and you just have to place the pre-cut tiles.
A moisture resistant layer must be installed before the floor is laid. The floor should also be coated with a sealing agent as this improves the life of the rubber floor.
Do not experiment when you are laying the floor. You must follow the manufacturer’s instructions and in case you think you cannot do it yourself, call a professional.
Maintenance of rubber flooring
Again, the golden rule is to listen to what the manufacturer says about how to clean the rubber floor. You will not be eligible for the warranty if you do not do what is being asked, and it makes more sense for you to do exactly as recommended.
Do not use hard materials as this can scratch and therefore ruin the surface. Only vacuuming and mopping will do.
You may need to polish the floor regularly to ensure that it does not lose its luster.
How to get the best price on rubber flooring
Amazon and BuildDirect seem to be some of the best places to buy rubber flooring from (sponsored links). In addition to the best prices, Amazon’s customer-friendly policies make shopping from them a pleasure.