Using few ingredients, this ground lamb recipe is so tasty! Tons of fresh sage, garlic, cooked tomatoes and beef stock make a base braising liquid. The feta yogurt sauce that completes it is plain Greek yogurt, feta cheese, lemon juice, fresh parsley, garlic, and salt and pepper processed in a food processor. (It also makes a great salad dressing and dip!) This is a great weeknight meal to serve over rice or with naan.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Ground lamb
- ¼ cups Finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced, divided
- 14-½ ounces, weight Canned stewed tomatoes, chopped, juice included
- ½ cups Broth or beef broth
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoons Ground black pepper
- ½ cups Feta, crumbled
- ½ cups Plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cups Italian parsley leaves, packed
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoons Ground black pepper
- 1 packet Naan bread
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering and very hot, but not smoking.
2. Add the minced lamb into small pieces. Reduce heat to medium high.
3. Brown the lamb well on one side, then gently turn each piece to brown the other side. Increase the heat to high if browning does not occur on the second side.
4. Drain most of the fat from the pan using paper towels or paper towels and tongs, or according to your best method. Ideally, only 1-2 tablespoons of fat should remain.
5. Reduce heat to medium and add sage and garlic. Let cook for about a minute, stirring constantly.
6. Add the chopped candied tomatoes with their juice and the beef broth. Stir well, cover, lower the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. While the lamb mixture simmers, combine the sauce ingredients in a small food processor and process until smooth. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
8. Once the lamb has finished simmering, season it with 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/4 pepper, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
9. Serve the lamb mixture in bowls with several teaspoons of feta yogurt sauce on top accompanied by warm naan bread.