These Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are made with Italian sausage, cream cheese, Gouda and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. They are easy to assemble and the sausage stuffing can be made up to three days in advance.
- 18 Medium to large white or cremini mushrooms (stems removed)
- Olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 Small sweet onion finally chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Marjoram (can replace oregano)
- ¼ teaspoons Sea salt
- ¼ teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces, weight Cream cheese, cut into small cubes and softened at room temperature
- ¾ cups Finely grated Gouda cheese
- ¼ cups Grated fresh parmesan
- ¼ teaspoons Dried parsley
Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Using a broiler pan or a sieve over a baking sheet, place the washed mushrooms, cap side up, on the sieve. Lightly drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil. Cook 7 minutes. Once out of the oven, let them rest hat side up for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage. Just before the sausage has finished browning, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic, marjoram, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese and cook until melted, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Gouda cheese and Parmesan.
Spoon evenly into the drained mushroom caps. Sprinkle with parsley and bake for 15 minutes or until top is lightly browned.