This is a guest post by Marie Christine Sing-Umali. If you want to guest post on this blog, see the guidelines here.
Whether you’re cooking for your family or impressing visitors with your culinary skills, you need tools to help you throw a party. While food is a reflection of a chef’s personality and experiences, so are tools that help create works of food art.
Your kitchen tools are what make you efficient. There are a number of kitchen innovations that have come out in the last ten years. Needless to say, these innovations have certainly transformed novices into more agile kitchen enthusiasts. Since we can’t feature them all, here are just a few of the kitchen tools and items that landed on my short list.
Kitchen tools they need
Whether you are a chef running a restaurant or a home, you can’t go wrong with these kitchen tools and items that have made us more productive in the kitchen.
1. Ceramic knives – Knives are essential, no doubt about that. They are the most used tool in the kitchen for cutting food; they are the perfect tool for any food preparation task. Imagine living in a time when cavemen had no tools but their teeth. Fortunately, we don’t have to worry about this anymore as we now have knives that can do the cutting. However, knives get dull with use and you end up buying a new one every time. This is the significant difference that ceramic offers over regular knives. The sharpness of ceramic knives lasts fifteen times longer than a steel blade. In addition, they are a strong alternative to metal knives because they are resistant to rust and are impervious to oils and acids. Cleaning is also no problem because they do not absorb food. A quick rinse and wipe will keep your ceramic knives clean. Typically half the weight of traditional cutlery, the ergonomic handle of a ceramic knife makes for easy handling.
2. Cast iron skillet – If you want that perfect sizzle and brown bit or caramelization effect, then a skillet is just the right tool to achieve that frying perfection. Sure you can fry vegetables, fish and meat in a nonstick pan but to get that good caramelization process, a skillet is your best option.
3. Stainless steel multi-tool electric can opener – Let’s face it, even if it seems like the most basic thing to do, we’ve all had our fair share of struggles while opening a can of tuna. Apart from nicks and cuts that we sometimes have to endure when using manual can openers, we also have to use multiple tools separately for opening bottles, cutting wine, and cutting wax paper. That remained a concern until the Multi-Tool Stainless Steel Can Opener hit the market. Unlike manual can openers that you have to twist and turn with force, this can simply slides and cuts through metal like butter. It is also extremely durable, safe, and ergonomically designed for easy use. And because it’s a multi-tool, it also opens bottle tops, hard plastic packages, pop-tops, and decants wine without breaking a sweat! Best of all, you don’t need separate expensive openers when you can have it all in one gizmo.
4. Microwave energy star – The invention of the microwave is one of the greatest discoveries in the kitchen. Having the ability to cook food in a matter of minutes, even seconds, allows people to keep up with a fast-paced lifestyle. Those who can’t cook, college students away from home, and people in a hurry can now enjoy a hearty meal without breaking a sweat. Great tasting microwavable foods can come in all shapes and sizes, from any mom-and-pop shop or local grocery store. One concern about microwave ovens: they consume a lot of energy, along with ovens, washers and dryers, air conditioners, and dishwashers. However, since they are very efficient in cooking, most American families cannot imagine life without it. Good thing President Obama’s administration has made energy efficiency a top priority, making owning a microwave more logical. The new convection microwave models will reduce energy demand and carry the energy star logo which equates to energy efficiency. Such a goal to curb pollution and help Americans reduce costs in electricity which is a great advantage.
5. Sleek cabinet – A kitchen without storage is havoc. Imagine your china, pots and pans, utensils, glassware, and food all out in the open. Without cabinetry, it’s like having your internal organs inside out, which is unattractive, to say the least. Not only do the kitchenware and small appliances collect dust and invite insect droppings, but also you will never be able to have a spic-and-span kitchen as everything looks like clutter. From wood to glass to laminates to stainless steel, today’s cabinet options are endless. Do yourself a favor and invest in cabinetry that is durable, stylish and affordable, you won’t regret it.
Gastronomic adventures all the way!
We use kitchen gadgets and furniture on a daily basis and as often as the need arises, so durability, efficiency, and ease of use are important factors to consider. These are long-term investments that will make your culinary adventures a satisfying and enjoyable one.
Marie Christine Sing-Umali is a blogger and home improvement enthusiast who works for Kitchen Cabinet Kings, a leading online distributor of discount kitchen and bathroom cabinets nationwide. Kitchen Cabinet Kings offers RTA Kitchen Cabinets at reasonable prices. Request your free kitchen design service, discounts and find out more about financing options by visiting www.kitchencabinetkings.com.