These Indian-inspired spicy vegan chickpea balls are high in fiber and plant-based protein and made easy with mostly non-perishable ingredients!
- 1 cup Brown rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons Curry powder
- 5 teaspoons Ground coriander
- 3 teaspoons Ground mustard
- 2-¼ teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Grounded ginger
- 1 cup Canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) because you will need the liquid
- 1 cup Chickpea flour (garbanzo)
- 4 cups Fresh spinach, finely chopped, divided
- ⅓ cups Aquafaba (liquid inside the can of chickpeas, acts as a binder)
- ¼ cups Red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cups Jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1-¼ ounce, fluid Tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1-¼ ounce, weight Small diced tomatoes (no added salt)
Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
Combine all seasonings, set aside.
In a food processor, add the chickpeas, flour, 1/2 cup greens, aquafaba, onion, jalapeno, and about half the seasoning mix. Process until the chickpeas are mixed and broken down, but leave a little chunky.
Shape the treated mixture into 12 small balls.
Heat the tomato sauce and the diced tomatoes (with their juice) in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining seasonings and the remaining spinach. Bring to a boil.
Nestle the dumplings in the sauce. Cover and cook, turning dumplings and basting occasionally with sauce, until firm, about 20 minutes.
Serve 3 meatballs with a little sauce over rice. Enjoy!
Calories: 300 calories