Retro recipe makeover! Healthy vegan sloppy joes in one pot with crispy fresh cilantro lime coleslaw packed between your favorite bun.
- FOR THE SLOPPY JOES:
- 1 Yellow onion, diced
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups Tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 tablespoons Maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 cups Vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 cup Dried, green or brown lentils
- 6 Sandwich buns or hamburger buns, for serving
- Pickled jalapenos, for serving (optional)
- FOR THE COLESLAW:
- 4 cups Thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 cup Grated carrots
- ½ cups Chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
For the sloppy joes:
In a large saucepan (to avoid splattering), add the onions and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes until the onions begin to turn translucent. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time if vegetables start to stick. Add minced garlic, cumin and smoked paprika. Stir and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, maple syrup, vegan Worcestershire sauce, vegetable broth and lentils. Stir everything together and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Check the pan every 10 minutes or so and stir everything. Add more water ½ cup at a time if lentils need longer to cook.
For the coleslaw:
Add the cabbage, carrots, cilantro, lime juice and rice vinegar to a medium bowl. Mix everything together and let the flavors combine as the lentils cook. Be sure to toss the coleslaw a few times after you’ve made it, so the lime juice and vinegar don’t sit at the bottom of the bowl.
Once the lentils are cooked, lightly toast the buns (if desired). Serve the sloppy joe lentil mixture on half the bun and top with the coleslaw. Garnish with pickled jalapenos if desired.